CARROT BIRCHER MUESLI
Carrots are most flavoursome in late summer and autumn so reap the benefits with this Carrot Autumn Bircher recipe. Carrots are most known for their anti-oxidant rich nutrient, beta-carotene but are also packed with vitamin A, C, K and fibre and an ideal way to pack in an extra portion of veg into your daily diet. We tend to use half a medium sized carrot per person but you can use a little more or less given your preference and grate in either small or large pieces. The key here is a good overnight soak to maximise on all of the flavours.
- 1/2 grated carrot
- 40 grams oats (We use either quinoa or millet for a gluten free option)
- 1 teaspoon maca
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of almond butter (We use Biona)
- 6 almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey (make sure it's a good quality) or maple syrup or agave
- 1 tablespoon of goji berries
- 200-250ml of almond milk (depending on your preferred consistency)
Place all of the dry ingredients (except the almond butter) into a bowl and top with almond milk. You can use a nut milk of choice here, either homemade or shop bought. Drizzle with the tablespoon of honey or agave and place in the fridge overnight. The next morning, simply stir and add the almond butter to give it an extra nutty punch and soft consistency.
You'll find the carrot softens and by being mixed in with oats, it's almost hidden in taste. Carrots are naturally sweet though and with the sweetness of the cinnamon and maca, the overall blend is delicious.