The Supercharged Cacao Smoothie from the ROOTED KITCHEN...
By using raw cacao it gives you a kick of anti-oxidants and a supercharge of energy. Move over caffeine, cacao is in town. A signature smoothie from the ROOTED KITCHEN, this is a winning recipe for when your body needs something sweet. By using healthy fat from the almond butter along with protein powder, it really does fill you up.
Cacao is known for it's heart health benefits with it's high level of polyphenols called flavenoids which can help to reduce cholesterol LDL. It's also rich in a number of minerals, such as magnesium and calcium and the B vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B9 and vitamin E. We don't tend to use the term superfood, but this is definitely supercharged! When cacao is heated, the antioxidant level reduce, so always choose raw where possible.
- 40-50g oats
- 1 ripe col or frozen banana (we freeze these in batches - they make smoothies taste even sweeter)
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 1 heaped tablespoon of raw cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon almond butter (currently obsessed with Pip and Nut)
- 200ml of any nut milk (we use almond)
- 1 scoop of sun warrior vanilla protein powder (this really does improve the texture and help you feel fuller)
- 1 teaspoon Aduna baobab (I use in winter months to up my vitamin C intake and it also gives an additional fruity taste)
- goji, coconut shavings and linseeds seeds work well but be creative, anything will do
Quite simply blend it together and add the toppings. Eat. Enjoy. Life is good.